Dictate Your Documents in Word
By: Bruce G. Kreeger
Word for Microsoft 365 Word for Microsoft 365 for Mac Word for the web
Dictation lets you use speech-to-text to author content in Office with a microphone and reliable internet connection. It’s a quick and easy way to get your thoughts out, create drafts or outlines, and capture notes.
How to use Dictation
- Sign in to your Microsoft account using Edge, Firefox, or Chrome.
- Go to Home > Dictate. First-time users will be prompted to enable microphone permissions.
- A mic icon will appear – wait for it to turn on to be sure it started listening.
Tip: On Windows, use Alt + ` (backquote) to toggle the mic.
- Insert punctuation any time by saying them explicitly.
- Fix mistakes with your keyboard or Dictation suggestions without having to turn off the mic icon.
- Exit dictation with Close(X) in the Dictation toolbar or pressing the button in the ribbon again.
What can I say?
Try saying “new line”, “delete”, “bold that”, and “start list”. Other supported punctuation, commands, and symbols are below.
|period, full stop||.|
|new line||new line|
|ellipsis, dot dot dot||…|
|begin/open single quote
end/close single quote
|delete last [1-100] words/sentences|
|delete [Word or phrase]*|
- Saying “delete” by itself removes the last Word or punctuation before the cursor.
- Saying “delete that” removes the last spoken utterance.
- An example of using [phrase] would be dictating “what a super nice day” and then saying “delete super.” You would then be left with the phrase “what a nice day.”
|<format*> [word or phrase]|
|clear all formatting|
|align [left, center, right]|
- You can bold, italicize, underline, or strikethrough a word or phrase. An example would be dictating “review by tomorrow at 5 PM”, then saying “bold tomorrow” which would leave you with “review by tomorrow at 5 PM.”
- Try phrases like “bold last word” or “underline the last sentence.”
|start numbered list|
|add comment [your message here]*|
- Saying “add comment look at this tomorrow” will insert a new comment with the text “Look at this tomorrow” inside it.
- Saying “add comment” by itself will create a blank comment box that can be manually typed into.
- To resume Dictation, please use the keyboard shortcut (ALT + `) or press the Mic icon in the floating dictation menu.
|vertical bar sign, pipe character||||
|ampersand, and sign||&|
|plus or minus sign||±|
|less than sign, left angle bracket
greater than sign, right angle bracket
|pound sterling sign||£|
Clarity is an MSP (Managed Services Provider), CS Cloud Services Provider (Cloud Service Provider), VoIP Trunking service provider, Microsoft 365 CSP, 3CX PBX Titanium Partner, along with other IT support offering such as UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service) and SaaS (Security as a Service). Clarity’s Dotman Tech division provides more services in Software Development, Content Creation, and Marketing Automation services.
Call Clarity at 800-354-4160 today or email us at [email protected]. We are partnered internationally around the globe and we are open seven days a week 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST/EDT. https://claritytg.com and https://dotmantech.com.