3CX V18: Connecting Teams & Customers – Faster, Better, More Efficiently
By: Nick Galea, 3CX CTO, and Founder
The final version of 3CX V18 is here, offering best-in-class audio quality, performance, and reliability. With customer communication at the forefront, V18 provides an all-in-one integrated solution to communicate internally and connect with prospects – via voice, live chat, or video.
New 3CX Client And Desktop App
With V18 we’ve improved the Web Client and made it available also as a native Windows Desktop App, eliminating the need for the browser extension. The new Desktop App uses the same Electron framework used by Teams and WhatsApp, integrating better with the OS for a more reliable user experience. The Desktop App allows you to answer a call from the page you are working in (for example CRM) without switching between apps.
Improved Mobile Apps For Seamless Remote Working
- Better codec management – auto-set codec depending on Network (WiFi/3G/4G).
- Improved reconnection in the case of network changes or drops.
- Never miss a call – collaborated with Google & Apple to improve the reliability of PUSH notifications.
- Added support for Bluetooth and hands-free devices.
- Siri integration – iOS users can now tell Siri to make calls using 3CX.
Single Sign-On (SSO) Support
It is now possible to login to the Web Client using your Active Directory, Microsoft 365 or Google account. Local active directory accounts are supported through Microsoft’s free Azure AD Connect service.
The Teams integration offers a cost-effective alternative to MS365’s Calling Plans. Via our Teams SIP proxy, we provide a seamless unified calling experience for 3CX users dialing Teams users and vice versa. Users can dial out via 3CX SIP trunks using low-cost domestic and international tariffs offered by SIP providers in the region. Businesses can cut costs while having a much more powerful PBX to boot.
Voice Engine Reloaded – More Performant, More Secure
V18 has undergone extensive changes internally to improve audio quality, improve reconnection and strengthen security:
- A+ in Security – V18 is updated to Debian 10, upgraded to the latest .NET core, OpenSSL and Postgres, and now has the latest ciphers. Knocking out the competition on security, 3CX achieved A+ on Qualys labs and A on Immunilabs.
- Better Codec Management – The mobile apps and web client now use G711 to reduce transcoding, resulting in less processor usage and better audio. Mobile apps use G711 when on WiFi and G729 when on the mobile network.
- Easy Call encryption with simple SRTP configuration.
- Over 50% reduction in processor and memory usage.
- Tunnel merged into the media server for faster recovery from network drops.
How To Get V18
V18 is available for Linux (installed using 3CX iso) or a supported cloud provider and Raspberry Pi4. Windows will be available shortly. If 3CX hosts your 3CX instance, we will update to v18 over the next two weeks. Or you can upgrade the system yourself now from the Management Console.
- Login to the Management Console.
- As a safety precaution, take a complete backup configuration by going to Backup and Restore.
- Select “Updates” .
- On Debian select “V18 & OS Upgrade Available Debian 10”.
- On Raspberry Pi4, Select “Major Release.”
- Confirm the upgrade.
- You will receive an email informing you when the OS and PBX are upgraded.
Alternatively, you can create a new, hosted trial account.
- 4SC PRO and Enterprise are now free for one year.
- New lower annual pricing.
- Customers on a perpetual license can trade in for an annual subscription and get one year free.
- Known issue: For customers using PSTN Gateways or Spitfire (UK) and Connecting Project (IT) VoiP Providers, the option “Recording External Calls” only will not work. A hotfix is planned later in the week for these customers.
- Deprecated SMTP selection for Office365, Outlook and Gmail: These will be restored as Custom SMTP.
- The Welcome Email has been updated: Customers using a custom welcome email template should update.
- Customers using bridges: Important that both PBXs should be V18.
- CRMs removed from the system but can be downloaded from the 3CX site: 1C, Freshsales, Nutshell, Opencnam/Everyone API, amoCRM.
Clarity is proud to have provided on-premise and Cloud Hosted Telephony (UCaaS) to the America’s and the world since 2006. Clarity is a Microsoft CSP and offers M365 and O365 as standard offerings. Our clients are worldwide and currently using our unified communications platform. Clarity Technologies Group, LLC surpasses expectations.
Call Clarity at 800-354-4160 today or email us at [email protected]. We are partnered internationally around the globe and we are open seven days a week 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST/EDT. http://220.127.116.11 and https://dotmantech.com.